The above graph is adapted from Limits to Growth, Revisited. It is not a hard and fast prediction, but rather the product of a model with 40 years of high correspondence with developments. We are, at present, at the top of the growth curves, many of which have already begun to plateau. Slopes of decline do not factor in such worst-case scenarios as widespread urban- or domestic nuclear facilities collapse consequent to economic collapse.

I've added the shading and 'crossover' circle' (coincident with 'peak everything') to indicate my best guess as to the high probablility zone for global, economic collapse, triggering the onset of TEOTWAWKI.

I fear a hard landing... no 'reboot' or 'transition' to a lower functioning economy. I urge high priority preparation now.

I've got a short glossary of terms at the bottom of this page... if you come across an unfamiliar term, please scroll down and check it out.

Information I'm including or pointing to doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. Rather, I've found it to be stimulating and worthy of consideration. I'm sure you'll exercise your own judgement... we're nothing if not independent! 8)

Thursday, March 13, 2014

That Roller Coaster Feeling


YEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Turning and turning in the widening gyre.
The falcon cannot hear the falconer.
Things fall apart.
The centre cannot hold.
From the Second Coming 
by William Butler Yeats


That Roller Coaster Feeling

Not the ups-and-downs kind of feeling... I'm talking vertigo. That moment-before-the-plunge kind of feeling.

Why now?

Peak oil is now firmly behind us, and peak everything underfoot. The Fukushima situation remains poised for disaster. The major nuclear powers are bumping belly over Ukraine. The economies of the world appear to be running on fumes, and growth - adjusted for deferred debt - is past. 

In the bigger picture, permafrost is melting (releasing methane, a hyper-active greenhouse gas), and the oceans growing acidic and anoxic. Biodiversity is plummeting, and key ecosystems teetering on the brink of collapse.

Some of these were true ten years ago, but most were at least prospective.

Virtually every news item of any substance resonates to the bass-notes of depleted resources, crumbling infrastructure, over-population, consequences of ecological damage.

The moment for preparations, it looks to me, is slipping from now...

...to then.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Folks... I'm not in a position to moderate comments. If discussion remains respectful and on topic, I welcome comments (passion okay). If it spins out of control, I'll have disallow them... I thank you for your civility.

I've opened comments to all 'Registered Users' (whatever that means!) to help weed out pesky spam.

- Dave Z